Monday, August 31, 2009

A Bear Tank No More

Posted this to the Druid forums earlier today:

After years as a Bear Tank, I have decided to respec to resto/boomkin from resto/feral. It was a tough decision, after main tanking my guild through Kara and much of Naxx one becomes attached to a toon and spec. But after some guildees leveled a Paladin and a DK tank, it is apparent to me its best for me to step aside. Here are my reasons for the change.

(1) Itemization - If you are a casual player, tanking gear is pretty much non-existent. I don't think there is a single good bear tanking item, besides the trinket, in 5 man and heroic ToC. PVP gear is ridiculously gimped for Ferals (very low AP). Unless your guild regularly gets tier badges, you have very few options. Rogue gear does not cut it without significant buffs to stamina.

(2) DPS - Our DPS is too low compared to Paladin and DK tanks. When those tanks are pulling 2000 to 2500 dps in Naxx, its hard to justify bringing a tank doing 1100 dps. Heck it just speeds up the run to have the higher DPS.

(3) AOE Aggro - AOE dps has become a big part of the game. A bear tank does not have the same amount of AOE threat that a Paladin or DK does.

So I am leveling a Paladin for tanking. Got her to level 20 and I will be back in the tanking game in a month or two. But I'm gonna miss my Bear.
I'm pretty sad about it. I really really like being a Bear tank. But it just doesn't make sense given how well the other tank classes perform. And, the gear thing is a real problem. Rogue gear does not make good tanking gear. It makes good feral kitty gear, but the stam is way too low for a bear.

So I am leveling a Paladin tank first. Maybe a DK after. Who knows, maybe Blizzard will like Bear tanks again in Cataclysm? But I'm hedging my bets.




No comments: